Nowadays, many kindergartens talk about the educational approaches they use in their schools. When I talked to the educators, especially school principals and administrators, they told me that it was very important that parents know about the approaches they apply in their school, because they can predict how their children will receive education and communicate with the school much more easily. However, when we look at the parents' front, we can see that the situation is not as clear as the educators. Because the parents only know the name of the educational approaches that exist in the schools they send their children to (because they also read it in school advertisements?), They don't know what elements this approach contains or what it teaches children. For this reason, I have divided the contents of this and the next two writings into 3 different educational approaches applied in kindergartens in our country. These approaches can be listed as follows; Montessori Education Approach, High Scope Education Approach and Reggio Emilia Education Approach.
Montessori Education Approach:
When we look at the content of the approach…
• This approach attaches great importance to the link between school and family.
• According to this approach, classes are not only composed of students of the same age group, but different students of different age groups are brought together.
• In this approach, ı students learn best when they do things themselves ”understanding prevails.
• When the teacher wants to show the children something, instead of telling it, the teacher exemplifies the silent activity.
• According to this approach, children can use any material in the classroom at any time, which is the best way to neutralize them.
• Sensory learning is very important; it is often emphasized that the child learns using his / her 5 senses.
• Most toys in the classroom have didactic purposes. Rather than entertaining the child, more attention is paid to toys designed to teach him something. These are puzzles, blocks, cubes, placement games…
• Supporting the child's language development is very important, for this reason, the child is taught lessons to write and read.
• According to this approach, the environment should be designed in such a way that the child gets the best education.
• The environment should be designed so that children are comfortable. (Materials suitable for children's dimensions - furniture, park toys) should be selected.
• The child should be reminded of the home environment with different areas created in the classroom. For example, a rest corner with soft pillows should be designed to remind the child of the home environment.
• Every child should have certain special possessions from the beginning of the year and the continuity of this should be maintained. For example, children's storage cabinets, chairs at the breakfast table should always be the same person and should not be changed.
Points specific to this approach:
According to this approach, children come to school to learn rather than have fun. Therefore, both teacher training and curriculum content have been created to provide the best learning environment for the child. This approach, which argues that children can learn a lot from their own mistakes, also creates opportunities for the child to correct their own mistakes with the materials they use during education. Because most materials in the classroom are designed in such a way that the child can correct the mistake himself. For example, puzzles are one of the materials commonly used in this approach, when the child puts a piece in the wrong place while making the puzzle, he can understand it himself and make new attempts to find the correct location of the piece. In this way, he goes to the way of correcting the error and completes the education process by himself.
How do you know that a school really uses the T MONTESSORI TRAINING APPROACH??
In schools implementing this program, teachers should have the competence to apply this program. To do so, they must be certified by the Association Montessori Internationale (AMI) and the American Montessori Society (AMS). (Not all teachers need to be certified, but at least two teachers in the school must have this certificate.) When you go to a school that applies this approach as a parent, it is your natural right to see the certificates that the teachers have!
Contact Idil directly